Thursday 21 May 2009

Some simple nutrition tips, plus Neil's special chilli con carne!

I have been thinking of posting some recipes for a bit and I thought I would do a quick post with a sort of sample menu for a normal (non-fasting, or non-cheat) day.

When you are eating for either the purpose of buring fat or increasing calories to build muscle, the basic principles still apply. Eat whole food (in otherwords UNPROCESSED), and avoid at ALL COSTS artificially hydrogenated (trans) fats, drinks such as fizzy pop, sugared tea/coffee, etc. I'm not going to get involved in the stupid argument about artificial sweeteners. For me that is what the filtering system in my body is for.

I find it is worth spending a little time in the kitchen preparing your food, even if you find it a bit of a chore at times, and there is nothing better than knowing that you have cooked a nice healthy meal, untampered by those who can interfere with your healthy lifestyle and sabotage your goals.

One thing I love is spicy food. The more chilli, cumin, coriander, etc the better!!! I especially love Indian food, but the only problem is that Indian restuarant food is usually cooked with large amounts of ghee (more saturated and possibly trans-fats) so it spoils the treat.

I made a nice chilli con carne and home made guacamole yesterday. I used lean minced beef from a local (national chain) hypermarket, half an onion, 3 cloves garlic, half of each of a red & green peper, whole cumin, whole coriander, chilli powder, 2 tins of kidney beans and a tin of tomatoes, plus a little salt to season the whole thing.

I don't use large (or even small) quantities oil to fry things these days, and I NEVER EVER use solid fats for frying either, (although I do use sprays for things like omeletes), so the beef is dry fried. of course the fat and water escapes during the frying which you use to cook the onion, garlic and peppers.

The whole thing makes use of those cheap, store cupboard ingredients, and makes an economic meal, especially if you have a large family.

Anyway I will give you a little sample. I tend to workout as soon as possible in the morning. I am usually in the gym for 7:30/8:00am.

So here goes the sample for today

Breakfast: Plain low fat yogurt with berries (fresh blueberries and raspberries and dried goji-berries) with 2 desert spoonfuls of oats and 2 of muesli. Aprox 350 kcals

Post Workout: Protein shake. (In this instance I am using 1/2 measure of Sci-MX strawberry lean-gro as a whole measure is just too much for me) 175 cals

Lunch: Home made chilli (recipe above) and guacamole + small banana + 6 dried apricots 600 cals

Afternoon snack: Muller light toffee + dozen almonds + 1 measure strawberry Maximuscle Promax shake 300 cals

Tea/Supper: 2 portions of salmon with al dente brocolli, sliced runner beans and raw cauliflower. 400 cals

Bedtime drink: Chocolate promax shake in 200ml skimmed milk. 200 cals

I think this is a great daily menu for fat loss (approx 2025 cals) for someone of my weight and activity level. For maintenance or muscle gain, feel free to increase the calories by adding healthy carbs such as brown rice or pasta and jacket potatoes.

Please post your comments on any recipe ideas you might have.

Neil

No comments:

Post a Comment